CORONA ADVISORY ISSUED FOR THE TOWN OF FALLSBURG
Today is Friday, March 6, 2020 at 10:30 am.
My office has received guidance from the offices of the Governor and the New York State Department of Health regarding public facilities and the spread of the coronavirus. We will be sharing this guidance with all known schools and other municipal buildings in out Town. They have asked that we share with our residents a website established by the NYS Department of Health which provides real time data on the virus.
I can report from this data and from the DOH website the following, as of Thursday at 2:00 p.m. There have been 22 known cases of Covid-19 or Coronavirus in NYS. 76 individuals tested Negative for the virus and an additional 24 are being evaluated.
The 2019 novel coronavirus may cause mild to severe respiratory symptoms like:
- trouble breathing and
The CDC believes at this time that symptoms may appear in as few as 2 days or as long as 14 days after exposure to the virus.
Regarding Prevention: While there is currently no vaccine to prevent this virus, these simple steps can help stop the spread of this and other respiratory viruses:
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. If soap and water are not available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer. A fun way to judge the time is to sing the happy birthday song, twice.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth with unwashed hands.
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
- Stay home when you are sick.
- Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue, then throw the tissue in the trash.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces.
If you have any further questions or concerns, there is a hotline that has been established. The toll free number is 1-888-364-3065.
Our office will be coordinating efforts with the County of Sullivan Department of Emergency Management and Sullivan County Public Health as necessary, and will remain in contact with the NYS Department of Health and the Governor’s office.